Are Open ID & Facebook Connect Safe?

As a blogger and average Internet user, it’s safe to say that I’m very familiar with the struggles and problems of having multiple logins strewn all around the Internet.

It’s very difficult to come up with a login and password system that’s easy to remember – until now.

Open ID and Facebook Connect are two systems for what is known as the “holy Grail” of login programming.

The goal is to have one single login that you can use across any site on the Internet.

While this is not even close to being the case right now, the truth is that it is not too far off on the horizon.

Potential Issues

When someone says something like, “I want to have one single login across all sites on the Internet,” it raises a lot of eyebrows in the computer security crowd.

Simply put: having one login means that if someone were to access that account, it would be absolutely devastating for your online identity.

They would then be able to access every single website that you have an account on, eventually leading to financial ruin, reputation issues, and sullying of business relationships.

This is not a mere exaggeration – it could really happen, and has to some people in the past.

Open ID

Open ID is one of the oldest single login standards that exists. It has not been changed since 2007, however that does not mean that it has no traction.

In fact, even though Facebook has a login system, they still allow you to login with Open ID.

However, there are some typical implementation processes that go into using this system, as well as the fact that it does not have any type of regular updating going on at all.

That’s enough to raise some eyebrows with not only security folks but regular human beings as well.

Facebook Connect

Facebook, with all of its massive amounts of social data, has the ability to use a single login system that offers more than the competitors. They are pushing for integration with many websites that also includes the ability to integrate friend data and social sharing elements.

To add to this, they have a seriously massive user base that is very interested in simplicity and social sharing.

However, if someone was to get access to your Facebook account, in theory they could then also either revoke or accept privileges to different websites and impersonate you.

It is a dangerous and slippery slope to slide down when it comes to accessing financial websites and business websites with something like Facebook connect, simply because people do not tend to protect their Facebook account with a password that is extremely secure.

Final Thoughts

It’s going to be exciting to see where these two standards go. In my opinion, Facebook Connect is going to take the upper hand simply because of market share and brand recognition.

However, it will be on them to make sure that they put all the necessary security measures in place to protect people from themselves.

About the AuthorMarcela De Vivo writes about technology and marketing for, a service that helps webmasters find the best hosting solution for their websites.  Her focus is on sharing tips and information to help businesses achieve their full potential online.  She loves to write about SEO, social media, and content marketing.

1. 4 Things to Ensure Your Facebook Security in Authentication
  2. How to Enable HTTPS for Facebook Security
  3. How to Keep Your Facebook Account Safe in 2012

1. Neil Walrath says:

in a way yes they are safe and make it easy for anyone coming to your blog to comment and get them self linked to your blog and also the biggest advantage you have with open id and facebook is that the registration processes is so easy that people don’t tend to leave without connect them self with your blog or website.

2. Aditya says:

Yes you are right,Facebook connect is going to rise beyond the limits.The only reason is its share in the market and the popularity it has gained.The services offered however can be known well after it jumps in the market.
    Aditya recently posted..ERP Software Solutions IndiaMy Profile

3. Naina says:

I don’t think they are safe enough to have rely on.As they instantly want access themselves of the account you have logged in through.And for me its a complete identity theft.
    Naina recently posted..Human Resource SoftwareMy Profile

4. Bhushan

Hello there,
    are gmail or other account are safe when they are open.Not Na???
    Then, how that type of connections are safe.It is going high because That platform has more reputation in market.
    Bhushan recently posted..Production Management SoftwareMy Profile

5. Kristine from Geelong Triathlon Coaching says:

Facebook connect will undoubtedly take the lead but I sure hope that will take stringent measures to guard our online security. Thanks for sharing!
    Kristine recently posted..Hello world!My Profile

6. Joy from cute office supplies says:

My security online is of utmost importance to me, I’ve had several bouts with hackers taking over my email, paypal and social networking accounts so I’m a bit apprehensive about having one username and password for all my online dealings. Thanks!

7. Aayna from emergency dentist hamilton says:

Facebook connect is everywhere. More and more people are inclined towards it, but I seriously don’t rely upon it. I feel that people should take in the necessary security measures. Thanks for the share.
    Aayna recently posted..October 21, 2012 – Aries Weekly HoroscopeMy Profile

8. Facebook is very fun social media platform and this Facebook Connect feature lets webmasters do a variety of functions. I just do hope people won’t abuse it to penetrate our private space.

9. Kelly says:

I believe Facebook Connect is safe. Though Facebook seriously need to fix their privacy issues, in general.
    Kelly recently posted..SuiteDash – top project management systemMy Profile

10. Calra says:

I don’t see anything wrong with the Open ID Facebook Connect feature. Well, hopefully, it doesn’t have any bugs that might affect our privacy in the future.

11. Sandra says:

There will always be ups and downs to pretty much anything. I think that Facebook Connect is convenient, but a bit of a hazard. It greatly simplifies matters, but there’s that issue that if someone gets into just one account, then whoops, say bye-bye to your internet life. I’d say maybe use it on some less-substantial websites, but not for everything that’s absolutely essential to you.

12. Jimson Paul says:

Thanx for sharing the article…facebook connect is widely used in todays world…i think its safe..

13. Stacey says:

We all want privacy and security, especially with our profiles online. But it seems to me that Facebook always makes our profiles more stalker-friendly than ever!
    Stacey recently posted..New Years Eve Cruise in Sydney 2012 Harbour Fireworks Cruise!My Profile