If you are some Diablo 3 fanatic, I am sure you heard of the news where some of the Diablo 3 accounts were hacked. That moment was scary to all Diablo 3 players where every night you sleep, you are afraid of waking up the next morning losing everything.
However, after few p’atches from Blizzard, seems like the hacking news is not anymore in the scene. This is part of a software life cycle where people call it ‘bug fixed‘. But this is not the end of the story.
From time to time, I believe that there is a better way to hack a game, system or whatever. As a result, I would suggest every Battle.net account holder to at least protect your account with an Authenticator.
Guide to Use the Diablo 3 Mobile Authenticator
If you are in US/Canada/some selected region, it is pretty simple where you can get the hardware authenticator. But or region like mine, it is going to be difficult. As a result, the solution is down to only the Mobile Authenticator.
So, this is how you do it.
- Download and install the Mobile Authenticator from your Application store. I have an Android phone and for you to do it, just head over to the Google Play.
- Once you completed the installation, run the autenticator. You should get a screen like below and remember to write down your restore code so that you can restore back the same authenticator with the same Serial Number.
- Once you had downloaded your Mobile Authenticator, head over to the Battle.net website and do login to your account.
- Notice that at the bottom left of your screen, you will be able to add an authenticator from the link ‘Add Security’. Click on that.
- It will bring you to a screen where you can choose between a hardware authenticator and mobile authenticator. In this tutorial, you will need to choose the Mobile Authenticator. Do note that I highly advice the hardware authenticator.
- There will be 3 steps that you need to go through.
- First is to verify your account via email.
- Second is to download the Authenticator which you had already done.
- Lastly, is to register your authenticator. You will need to provide your serial code and one of your authentication code.
- Once you had successfully attached your authenticator, head over to any login page. You will be able to see that after going through your ordinary username and password authentication, you will be asked for your authentication code from your Mobile Authenticator.
So now, with your mobile authenticator, even hackers who got your username and password could not login into your account. This is because they will require another 8 digits code from your Mobile device.
The only way for people to login your account successfully is to either steal your username, password & 8 digits authenticator which only last about 30 seconds, or steal your mobile device.
There is no magic formula for ultimate security. Whatever we do here is to pro-long the hacking process. Remember that you need to create a strong password on top of having an authenticator.