LinkedIn Password Security Issue – Change Your Password Now

If you are a LinkedIn user, it is highly recommended for you to change your password due to the previous password storage security. Whether your LinkedIn password is stolen or compromised or not, it is not important because the previous method of storing the password in the database is not very secure.

I’m not saying that it is so insecure up to the level where they are storing plain text in the database. The password stored is indeed hashed or encrypted but there isn’t a random salt in the encryption which is very easy to crack with some dictionary attack.

LinkedIn had already sent an email to all the users who are compromised but having not receive this email does not mean that you are completely safe. That is why I here urged everyone to change a strong password for you LinkedIn account.

Image courtesy ofΒ

It is also important that from this day onward, you will have a unique and strong password for each online account. It is very difficult to memorize all the password and that is why I always recommend to use a password manager to do this job.

There is also a reminder here where the email that LinkedIn sent to you does not consist any link or URL. If you happen to receive an email that has a link or URL, be sure you investigate first whether it is a phishing email or not.

Password, email accounts or in short, user credentials is very valuable. If you are concern about your social network security, it is highly advisable for you to follow all these security news closely.

You can always follow my blog closely by subscribing to my RSS via email.

1. 25 Password That You Should Not Use…Not For Any Accounts
  2. LastPass Review – Cloud Based Password Manager
  3. How to Create a Strong Password
About Alan Tay

This blog is owned and operated by myMediaInc. My Media operates content based online portals for IT professionals, technology managers and decision makers as well as business leaders. We publish original quality content focused in Software Development, IT Security, SaaS, Cloud Computing, Outsourcing, Project Management and Mobile and Wireless. Our mission is to explore how to help you optimize your resources in each of these areas.

Find us here IT Security Column.

1. bbrian017

Hi Alan, It’s pretty crazy, in fact I thought it may had been a joke or some type of rumor. I didn’t take any chances I went and updated mine like many people probably did. It’s better to be safe then sorry!
    bbrian017 recently posted..Blog Engage Skype Group for CollaborationsMy Profile

2. Ariana Lemarr says:

My gosh this is really scary… need to go right now go and work out to change my password in Linkedin. Never had an idea that such things may really happen.

3. Peter Lee

Here’s a tool to check if your LinkedIn password has been compromised : Hope this helps.
    Peter Lee recently posted..LinkedIn Hacked – How Safe are Social Networking Sites?My Profile

4. Selva

use strong password (for instance 3&P*(speL#@) . If you can’t remember all passwords, save as text file inside Truecrypt. The funny thing is most of professionals doesn’t aware about this hack.
    Selva recently posted..A critical Security vulnerability in MySQL/MariaDB [CVE-2012-2122]My Profile

5. Matthias says:

I agree that everyone should change their LinkedIn password to a stronger one. Better yet, change it frequently. I change mine every month.

6. Andy Ascent says:

I don’t understand how does a succsful company such as LinkedIn does not take security
    as it top priority. There are protocols like PGP and Public-Key Cryptography, md5 and you
    can enforce the user to select a difficult to guess password by applying specific rules.

7. Aditya says:

Hi Alan,
    Now i know that why sometimes when i enter my password it says that check your password again.May be its because of the security reasons.i am going to have a strong paasword now.
    Thanks for sharing this information.
    Aditya recently posted..Android Application Development CompanyMy Profile

8. Zainil

Hi Alan,
    Ohh.. its soo evil to compromise the passwords on a social network.. πŸ™ Between thanks a million for this update! πŸ™‚
    Zainil recently posted..Giveaway – MacX Video Converter Pro worth $49.95My Profile

9. Theresa says:

Changing passwords once in a while is the best way to ensure ourselves that our accounts will never be compromised. We just have to remember to use strong passwords to ensure the maximum protection.

10. Marty says:

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea LinkedIn had this issue. I’ll change my password right now because I’ve already lost an Yahoo! account due to password theft.

11. Richa from team building says:

Hey Alan
    I did change my LinkedIn password as soon as I got the info about some security issues. Thanks for sharing this post.

12. Dipa from las vegas veterinarian says:

Wow! Was not aware-i got so upset when someone hacked my hotmail- and this is a professional contacts site-so one must indeed be more careful. Thanks for sharing-i am off to go change the password!

13. praveen says:

woooo…linkedin is professional thing so please evryone who are using it. keep your account safe. The best thing is changing the password time to time….nice and alertful post…:)
    praveen recently posted..Tricks for Writing a Post People Will StudyMy Profile