If you have an old computer, what would you do? Normally, I hear people say that they will give it away or thrash it away. Some might even sell it away for a super low price. Is that the best you can do?
If I say that you can setup a home security system with your old computer, will you believe me? You don’t need to spend bit money to do it simply because you can get cheap IP CCTV out there, so no point in setting up something more expensive than an IP CCTV.
What you need here are things that are either free or super duper cheap such as below:
Installation Guide for a Budget Home Security
1. Format your old computer to ensure no rubbish in it.
2. Install an Operating System. You can use cheapskate Windows XP or even free Linux OS such as Ubuntu.
3. Buy cheap webcam.
4. Install the webcam into your old computer.
5. Install Skype into your old computer and your client computer that is going to use to monitor your home.
6. You will need two different Skype account here because one will be use to call another Skype account.
7. Install LogMeIn.
8. Set your Skype to Auto-Start and Auto-Login so that you don’t have to do all these unnecessary stuff.
How to Monitor Your Home
Setup is done for now so the question now is how do you monitor your home from there?
1. Use LogMeIn to remote your old computer desktop.
2. From your client computer, make a video call to your old computer.
3. Using LogMeIn, accept the Skype call and start monitoring your home.
4. If you see anything suspicious, make a call to the police.
This piece of useful guide is obtained from SecurityNewsDaily. For more information, refer to their post.