How to Remove Virus

I had previously written about the symptoms of a computer infected with virus. In this post, I would like to extend my topic with a solution. The provided solution is a step by step guide on how to remove the infection from your computer which you suspected or detected from your antivirus scan.

But before you begin your delete or removal process, ensure that you already had all your data backup so that you won’t lose them if you had accidentally made any critical mistake. Once you had your backup plans ready, head to step #1.

The steps on how to remove virus

1. Do a thorough scan or full system scan or what ever that your antivirus call it. Make sure that you have a reliable antivirus to do this job. For this initial scan, our aim is to search for the Malware. The reason I call this step to search for Malware is simply because I’m sure you failed to remove them at this step and that is why you are reading this post for a better removal process.
  2. If you found the malware, just copied down the location of the Malware to ensure that your removal process later will get the Malware removed. Otherwise, if you can’t get anything from this scan, not to worry because you have more guides ahead of you.
  3. Use MalwareBytes to do the work now. About a year ago, I wrote a review on this anti-Malware which is free and useful against Malware. Remember that if you are using a free version of MalwareBytes, you need to update your software manually before running a full system scan.
  4. If you still failed to get rid off the infection, it is time to go to Safe Mode to do the job. Before connecting to Safe Mode, ensure that your antivirus is already updated. Once you are in Safe Mode, run the antivirus scan to remove the Malware.
  5. If you still fail over here, this means that the Malware is something worth spending your money to get rid off. It is either you spend some money for a premium antivirus and reach the support department to remove it or do format on your hard disk.

Final Say on How to Remove Virus

Security is an end to end process where you need to have everything in place to ensure your system is secure enough. That is why I wrote an eBook regarding computer security tips for all these tedious stuff. Apart from that, I had a post explaining what is computer security to get you started.

Before I end this post, I knew that I missed out the cheap way to clean up an infection. It is really cheap but not practical which is to format your hard disk. I would not recommend this but if you don’t have any other choice, then I guess formatting is the right choice.

What about the others? Drop your comments below if you have a better way on how to remove virus?

1. How Often Should You Scan Your Computer for Malware?
  2. Difference Between Virus, Trojan & Worms
  3. Avast Antivirus Review – The Best Free Anti-Virus?
About Alan Tay

This blog is owned and operated by myMediaInc. My Media operates content based online portals for IT professionals, technology managers and decision makers as well as business leaders. We publish original quality content focused in Software Development, IT Security, SaaS, Cloud Computing, Outsourcing, Project Management and Mobile and Wireless. Our mission is to explore how to help you optimize your resources in each of these areas.

Find us here IT Security Column.

Comments

1. puneet says:

Viruses are nightmare for me. Good tips here you have tossed which can be great help for me.

2. I’ve read reviews on malwarebytes and they’re really good feedbacks.

3. Tan
    Twitter:
    says:

Last week my pc infected by “System Check” virus. I follow the step I search from Google, but no one is working. I end out fixed it in Safe Mode with a few tools.
    Tan recently posted..Post-Operative Neutropenic FeverMy Profile

4. Tan
    Twitter:
    says:

I am just notice the “System Check” removal instruction link on your right sidebar. I should notice it early.
    Tan recently posted..How to Trade In Forex Using Money Currency?My Profile

• Alan Tay says:

That is one of my blog sponsor, PC Risk. They are the expert of Spyware removal and you can always refer to their site if you have any infections.

5. Dominic says:

Great guide Alan. I can’t tell you how much I recommend malwarebytes to other people. It does such a great job removing most malware.

Whenever I help someone, I usually just go straight to safe mode with networking to attempt to remove any threats no matter if I am using malwarebytes or the antivirus software they have installed.
    Dominic recently posted..How to Update iTunesMy Profile

6. I’m also a fan of MalwareBytes. On more than one occasion it has saved me from some nasty malware. Many people don’t realize the importance of a good anti-virus program. I’ve had more than a few friends on the verge of tossing their computer because they though it was beyond repair and all they needed were the right programs.

Only once did I decide to format my hard drive. I admit I got frustrated, but all of my important files were backed up, so it wasn’t that big a deal. I definitely will recommend your site and you eBook to some of my friends. It’s important to know how to protect your computer and your personal information. Thanks for the informative post.

• Alan Tay says:

Thanks Shoshana ;)

Hope to see more people joining this community to learn more about computer security. My promise is I will try my best on my side to provide the most valuable content for you all.

7. Ferb says:

Antivirus is serious problems for computer users and blogger. I rearlly scared of viruses, they’ve the ability to ban everything they want and thank for the tips. it’s help solved the problem.

8. Atish says:

I use Microsoft Security Essential and its too good. Viruses are just aaaahhh..! Tips are great budddy. thank you very much.
    Atish recently posted..Shoot Out At Facebook: Angry Father Shot Daughter’s LaptopMy Profile

• Alan Tay says:

You are welcome ;)

You might want to check out some alternative to Microsoft Security Essential as the recent AV test does not show that it has a very good protection.

9. Nikki says:

Two of our six computers have been hit with a virus in the past week. To even get MalwareBytes to run the scan, we had to restore both computers back to a previous date. Then the scan was able to run and take care of the virus.

Is there any harm in this?

• Alan Tay says:

Once you got it removed, it should be okay. I can suggest you to run a system error check, a default windows utilities to see if there is any damage applied. On top of that, you can run a few popular online virus scanners like Norton, and Bitdefender to really ensure the threat is removed completely.

10. wanabe says:

nice sharing..:)

11. Hey Alan Do you have any idea how to remove malware from websites I am facing malware warning on start up of my client site.
    Rizwan Sultan recently posted..Iphone SuppliersMy Profile

• Alan Tay says:

Is it running on WordPress? You might want to start off by applying the latest patch to all those web servers thing.

12. Ravi Singh says:

Oh Virus is a very bad thing for every blogger. Even these days hacking also comes in the account.
    Ravi Singh recently posted..Vellore Institute VITEEE 2012 Counselling ProcessMy Profile

13. Luke Abell says:

Have you seen http://GuideMyAntivirus.com? It’s a site I whipped up to help people remove viruses and malware. Check it out, would love to have some feedback.

Thanks!

14. Thanks for the tip. Having trouble with virus lately. Can’t access some files. I have no choice but to ask an expert to work it out for me. Good thing I saw your post. I know now what to do. Just a concern, is this technique also applicable to Mac?

15. Pooja says:

nice share Alan, i hate virus because my lappy have tons of virus and i also hate most of anti-virus soft wares because they remove my files.
    Pooja recently posted..Tablet Below 10000 In IndiaMy Profile

16. Malwarebytes Pro says:

This is a great tutorial Alan, and you use the best tool out there – Malwarebytes! As far as value for money goes, you don’t get much better than this program! Great post

17. David BURKS says:

Alan,

Those are great tips. I also use spybot to get rid of cookies and other malware content. You might considering adding spybot to your article.
    David BURKS recently posted..Open Roth IRA accountMy Profile

• Alan Tay says:

Spybots…That is a good add on there.

I’ll just find a day to feature this as when I write about tips to maintain a healthy PC. Looks good there.

Thanks for your comment.