I had finally decided to write the Kaspersky Internet Security2012 review after using it over 3 months exploring all the features in this software. Kaspersky in one of the top antivirus around where have numerous products focusing on end users and corporate users. The one that I am going to review today is the Internet Security Suite category where it is the most suitable type for home users who seeks for a commercial antivirus over a free one.
When I first upgraded Kaspersky 2012 from 2011, I realize there are changes in the user interface. It is a complete new design compared to the old one where you will not have the feeling of “it is just another Kaspersky software”.
Despite it is complicated software, but the design of the software makes the software user friendly. You will realize that it has lots of security features in this application which you will find them useful one day.
There isn’t anything which I don’t like about the interface really although I would say that it is not a perfect interface.
Not all the software features will be reviewed since it will take more than 2000 words to do that. I will only review the ones which are featured in their product page and the ones which I feel interesting or important.
- Kaspersky URL Advisory. This feature is available in the previous version where it marks every link with color on whether it is safe to browse or not. However, most of the new or not so famous site is always grey which means no information gathered and you cannot submit the site for evaluation to make it turns green.
- Kaspersky File Advisor. This is a new feature in 2012 and I don’t think it works on a 64 bit machine. I was not able to test it, but it suppose to check the file reputation with the Kaspersky Cloud.
- Safe Run Mode. The Kaspersky Safe Run enables you to execute your file or browse your website at a separate environment from your Operating System. This means that if the file or web happened to be malicious, your Operating System is still safe protected by the Safe Run.
- Two Way Firewall. One way firewall is already an outdated feature and today, we all talk about two way firewall. It protects you from the outside and inside as well.
- Parental Control. I am not a big fan of parental control feature but I find it amazing that the administrator can actually have a lot of control over the guest or other standard user. The parental control not only filter adult and gambling content, it also can set how frequent you allow the user to access internet and logs as well.
Pros and Cons of Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
- Easy to use.
- Scores very well for a lot of Antivirus test.
- Parental control is impressive.
- Hybrid protection with Kaspersky Cloud makes the computer performance better and does not lag.
- Comes with Safe Run/Sandboxing which is a very useful features to run unknown files/url.
- Safe Run for file is missing in 64 bit machine.
- Gaming mode is not so user friendly. No indication when the Gaming mode initiate and lack of configuration.
- Does not have a URL scanner.
- Social network configuration is also not so user friendly. Configuration for this section is not straight forward.
- A little over priced compared to other internet security suite.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 Ratings
Installation – 5.0/5.0
Easy to install and everything is pretty straight forward. Even the upgrading from 2011 to 2012 can be done without even breaking a sweat.
Support – 5.0/5.0
The support feature is completely perfect. It supports phone support, ticketing submission, self help and forum as well. Apart from the restriction of following the working hours at GMT +3 time zone, there isn’t really any issue with the support.
Usability – 4.5/5.0
The system is easy to use as in overall. I barely need to reach the user guide or even Google to see how I can make use of certain features. It is very user friendly and if the social network configuration and Gaming mode can be tweaked, it will be a perfect user experience.
Effectiveness – 4.5/5.0
The software scores quite high in a lot of Antivirus Test lab. However, it failed miserably in the PC Mag test lab where it does not get a good review rating from them. Generally, the product had been tested in many labs and most of them resulted that Kaspersky Internet Security is an effective security suite.
Overall – 4.5/5.0
I will give it a 4.5 rating out of 5.0 for the quality of Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. It is a great software, user friendly and extremely effective. My concern is the price where at the price of $59.95 for one PC license, other security vendors can do it cheaper although quality is another comparison. If you are really looking for a solid internet security suite where you are willing to pay, Kaspersky Internet Security is the software that can go with.
$59.95 – 1 PC Buy Now!