25 Password That You Should Not Use…Not For Any Accounts

About a week ago, Splashdata released the 25 passwords that are commonly used by most people.

According to the CEO, these data were collected from files containing millions of stolen passwords.

After running through the list of 25 most popular passwords, I realized that none of the password even meet the criteria of being long or complicated.

I would advice that none of those passwords should be use. In fact, passwords that close to the patterns of the 25 most popular passwords should not be used.

password

Image Credit: Salvatore Vuono

There is a saying from the local Chinese people where “the most insecure spot is the safest spot”. Which means in the password creation case, the most insecure password is the most secure password. Probably this saying can be applied in certain conditions but definitely not password creation.

Password hacking runs the most basic attack first and usually the most insecure will get the hit first. If you are among the people who believe in the saying which I just said, stop it. In security, things does not work this way.

From time to time, if you have any problem in creating password, you should always refer to the post on how to create a strong password. Even better if you can afford a Password Manager to do the work.

If you are interested, do check out the 25 most popular password below. In other words, it is also known as 25 passwords that you should not use in any applications.

• password
  • 123123
  • 654321
  • superman
  • qazwsx
  • michael
  • football

1. Do You Let Your Web Browser to Remember Your Password?
  2. Sony Broken in Again with 93,000 Accounts Compromised
  3. How to Create a Strong Password
About Alan Tay

This blog is owned and operated by myMediaInc. My Media operates content based online portals for IT professionals, technology managers and decision makers as well as business leaders. We publish original quality content focused in Software Development, IT Security, SaaS, Cloud Computing, Outsourcing, Project Management and Mobile and Wireless. Our mission is to explore how to help you optimize your resources in each of these areas.

Find us here IT Security Column.

Comments

1. Peter Lee
    Twitter:
    says:

I find it hard to believe that there are people actually using 111111 as password. Amazing.
    Peter Lee recently posted..Blog Transition In ProgressMy Profile

2. Edward says:

I remembered reading a post similar to this on Yahoo News. I have to admit that I have used some of the passwords listed above. I’ve never been hacked though.

• Alan Tay says:

Hi Edward,

In fact, the news on Yahoo should be the original or first few versions you saw. Basically I saw the news and blog it out at my site with my own words :)

3. ProjectX says:

People doesn’t want to forget their password that’s why they use easy passwords and are not aware that there are email bruters today used by malicious crackers. Also add this to the list if you have an SSH (Secured Shell):

toor
    root
    admin
    nimda
    guest
    default
    test

>> these are commmon passwords used by mass SSH scanners like piata and gsm scanner

4. sai krishna says:

oh, thanks for let me know about these passwords , i will never use these words .
    sai krishna recently posted..How To Open Blocked Facebook Websites In School,OfficeMy Profile

5. Jeff says:

Wow, these are very common passwords. The most popular password of all is “password” haha. I think it’s okay to use “password” as your password but you need to make it more difficult like P@$$w0rd or p@s$W0rD or something like that. Sometimes, it’s also good to include “space” in your passwords.
    Jeff recently posted..myhosting Promo Code for VPS: Get the latest and lowest VPS hostingMy Profile

6. Chris from hope scholarship says:

Interesting that there are names on the list like michael, ashley, and bailey. I try to use a mix of capital letters, special characters and numbers in passwords. What I do find annoying are sites that require you to change passwords periodically (every 30 days, for example). I understand the reason, but if you have a strong password to begin with it is unnecessary.
    Chris recently posted..Petition to Save the Hope ScholarshipMy Profile