The Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 Safe Run features as well the extended version to the desktop safe run instead of only the web based safe run. As a result, you can now run not only your untrusted URL in the safe run mode, but also your untrusted application in the safe run mode.
The safe run mode is a mode activated by Kaspersky Internet Security where it will create a separate environment from your current working environment. That separate environment is going to be used by you to run all your untrusted stuff so that whatever that is compromised inside will not compromise you current working machine.
This will benefit you in the way that you can still able to check out the untrusted application but remain safe from Malware. However, there is a drawback in this Kaspersky safe run is that the desktop safe run is not available if you are using Windows 64 bit. I came across the issue this morning when I need to run some untrusted application.
If you are using Windows 64 bit, you can only use the safe run for website where it will launch the Google Chrome as the web browser that you are going to use. If you are using a Windows 32 bit instead, you will be able to maximize the safe run feature by extending to the desktop safe run.
When is the Suitable Time to Use Kaspersky Safe Run
The below scenario are the suitable time for you to launch the Kaspersky Safe Run
- When you desperately need to run an untrusted application either sent by an unknown user or the application name is not well known.
- When you need to access certain URL which appears to be untrusted.
- When you want to do your online banking.
- When you want to access certain sensitive data on the internet.
How to Start Kaspersky Safe Run
- If you are running on a 32 bit Windows, it is pretty self explanatory on how to run the Kaspersky Safe Run from the screen below.
- If you run on 64 bit Windows, you will only be able to run the Safe Run for Website. The desktop version of safe run will not be available.
- To change the default web browser, you can go to the Safe Run for Websites page and then select the Settings option as below.
- From the setting page, just change the web browser from Google Chrome to your preference. You can also set the session data to cleared or not right after you close the safe run.
If you have the Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 with you, do ensure that you always run the Safe Run when necessary. There is no harm using it since you already have it and it is pretty fast to launch the mode. If you still do not have it yet, you can make your Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 purchase over here. Last but not least if you like the Kaspersky safe run tips and tricks, do check out as well my series of Kaspersky Internet Security tips and tricks at this page.