How to Bypass Website Blocked by ISP

We all know that Malaysia just blocked the piracy related websites and a lot of file sharing website such as Pirate bay, Megaupload and many more. This entry is  going to provide an easy guide on how to bypass the security set by ISP.

Before I move in further, I would like to clarify that I am not any anti-government or piracy lover.

I would just want to let the users know that the blocking or security implemented by the ISP is not secure enough to block we all from all these sites. If you are not interested at all, you can skip this entry but do not flame me for being such a bad ass as I had explained above.

While for those who think you deserve internet surfing freedom, you can continue to read on.

First of all, I would like you all to know some fundamental to Internet Connectivity. When we connect to the internet from our computer, we will basically look for a DNS (Domain Name System).

Nothing technical in this post’s configuration although some terminology might sound techie.

When those ISP technician come to your house and setup your computer, they will usually point your DNS to their own DNS, for instance TMNet (Malaysia ISP) will have 202.188.1.5/202.188.0.133 and for others will be other type of DNS address.

Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Basically, how the ISP block  your connection to those file sharing website is that they will block all the connections from the DNS to those websites. Hence, when you are in their DNS, they have the total control of where you can go, and where you can’t.

That is what I assumed how they do the thing and I would like to stress that  there is no official statement about their security. The solution to this is pretty simple. You can open your network connection of your computer and configure the DNS.

If you know where to configure your IP address, the option below your ‘default gateway’ is the DNS address.

In common, people will just point to the Google DNS instead of your ISP DNS. The DNS for google are 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or the Comodo SecureDNS where you can activate it from the Comodo Firewall.

Do you have any security threats if you point to some customized DNS? I’m afraid yes if you do not know the DNS belongs to who. As a result, I highly recommend to point back to the ones that are popular and as suggested, Google is the one to go, at least for now.

You don’t have to put both, but just fill up one of your DNS with any of the two Google DNS will do. If you still have problems accessing those websites, you should then check whether the website is down or not through this site.

This solution is just temporary for the time being. I would hope the Malaysia ISP will do better to prevent those websites if they really want to do it. It kind of disappointed to see the protection level that is implemented.

I was encountered this situation as well in Vietnam where their ISP do block all the sites like Facebook using the same method. It is easily bypass and millions of Vietnamese on Facebook despite their ISP is blocking.

I can’t suggest any better way to block these websites, but I am certain that this method won’t work. For the internet freedom fighter, I hope you got your freedom back and do drop a comment if you have anything extra ordinary to share.

Last but not least, I would like to remind that file sharing easily leads you into downloading malicious software or malicious site. As this is a security site, I highly recommend you to check out my virus protection tips series and some useful security post below.

1. How to Detect and Combat Phishing Attack
  2. How to Improve Web Application Security
  3. Malaysia Government is the Next Target for Hackers
About Alan Tay

This blog is owned and operated by myMediaInc. My Media operates content based online portals for IT professionals, technology managers and decision makers as well as business leaders. We publish original quality content focused in Software Development, IT Security, SaaS, Cloud Computing, Outsourcing, Project Management and Mobile and Wireless. Our mission is to explore how to help you optimize your resources in each of these areas.

Find us here IT Security Column.

Comments

1. InternetFreedomCrusader says:

Thanks for this post, very helpful.

But I have one question though, even after we changed the DNS address, can the Malaysian government or the ISP block that particular DNS? If so how?

• admin says:

Welcome :)

If google DNS got blocked, there are still plenty of public DNS out there. And whether they can block the other public DNS easily or not, is still a question. As I am not an expert in network configuration, I would not be able to scale the difficulty of blocking public DNS. However, if one day Google’s DNS got blocked, just refer to this list and try other public DNS.

2. skyryu says:

Let say if i followed your step, will i get detected by tmnet by doing so? Will they know that i am able to surf through the websites that have been blocked? I’m afraid i will be banned/flamed/sued/ or anything related if they know?

• admin says:

I see.

Then I guess you might need to look back at the agreement with TMNet whether they enforced all the customers to use 202.188.1.5/202.188.0.133 DNS server or not. In my opinion, using other DNS server is not an issue as long as they are Public DNS. After all, Public DNS is for public isn’t it. From technical point of view, if the ISP does not allow you to connect to other DNS, the blocking should be done at the ISP side. We are not hacking or destroying any property which I personally feel, in this method, it is still ethical to do it. :)

3. kookies says:

hello, I have been trying to bypass my ISP’s block since the implementation of the MCMC new ‘law’. Proxies, Google DNS, public DNS’ ; I’ve tried em all. However, with no avail. I am aware that I am connected to a LAN switcher and so I have tried with a laptop (wifi) , also a fruitless effort. I am able to switch the DNS but I won’t be able to load even google.com. Any help on this? Thanks

• admin says:

Hi kookies

So far the changing of DNS is good on my side. The page won’t even load google.com means the ISP is not allowing you to connect to any DNS except for their very own DNS. Mind telling what provider that you are using?

• kookies says:

Streamyx’s the ISP. You might be right, since I’m unable to even use other DNS servers. Is there any solution to this problem? *Fingers crossed*

• admin says:

Since you had tried all of the DNS servers, I don’t think there is anything that you can do temporarily. You can try include one of the Streamyx DNS, and use another one of Google public DNS as the alternate DNS and see it works or not. At least the primary DNS can let you connect to internet first, and then maybe from there, when browsing those blocked site, it can automatically choose the alternate DNS (which is Google DNS) for you (Finger Crossed too). You can set multiple DNS if I am not mistaken, so just give it a shot before you put up the white flag :)

4. Kryptonite says:

I found a way to bypass the Streamyx. This is what you need to do:
    1) Do what it is mentioned above. Change the DNS name to other free DNS

AND

2)Download any anonymity Browsing tools. I used this: http://www.torproject.org/. This tool is used to relay from another nodes(PC).

When you run both 1 and 2 together. You Should be able to bypass restriction. I have tried and this even works for megauploads and piratebay as well. Good luck!

• Alan Tay says:

Thanks for the tips, Kryptonite. I think this will be useful if they still have trouble after doing what I mentioned. So far it still works okay for me but I will give your solution a try when I started to have problem :)

5. Christo says:

Just out of curiosity: is it possible to use any of those proxy-websites to access all of the internet in malaysia?

6. Karya IT says:

Thank you for the information.

I have two modem/router with same brand and same model. One of the modem is provided by ISP(TM). I tried to change the DNS setting (ISP modem/router) to Public DNS. DNS setting can be changed but it does not work. Status of the router still shows the ISP DNS is still active. And some file sharing websites are still blocked. This problem did not occur in another modem, where public DNS settings working.

I’m not sure why, today I am having problems with Internet connection. Windows says the DNS server not responding, but if I ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Google’s DNS server has no connection problems. So I switch back to ISP DNS, and then change to other public DNS servers. Does Google’s DNS server has been blocked?

Sorry, broken English. ha, ha, ha … :-D

• Alan Tay says:

No problem on your English anyway.

Basically, I think you can leave your router as it is. Let it bypass their DNS or what. What you can do instead is to change your computer’s DNS configuration. I didn’t change my router settings at all. Everything I change is my computer’s network setting.

Any by the way, Google DNS is not blocked. If really it happens to block on your account, there are many more public DNS out there. One of the recommended one, you can try Comodo SecureDNS

7. grifz says:

its work well…
    im using streamyx with google dns ^^

• Alan Tay says:

You are welcome.

I think it works on Maxis broadband as well. Malaysia is still not taking serious action into blocking file sharing site. Might be one day we will get blocked just like the Great Firewall of China :)

8. koden says:

it working after change DNS in my modem by use google dns..thank much..

9. khairi says:

great tips alan

10. Chathuranga says:

Hey. It works. Thank you so much for sharing you knowledge with other.
    Best regards. :)

11. nabilah says:

i am maxis home user. i have try a lot and tremendously retry step provide to solve it . it seems my hope is getting in despair only

12. Universe says:

Wow it is Great tips that you have posted I really helpful by this thing. Thanks for this.

13. Andy says:

I use it for Indonesian ISP, after I rebooted the router, it works like a charm

Thanks

14. Frank says:

Pls my school wifi would not allow us unless we have an enabled password. How can we bypass their restriction

15. xion says:

It worked here in Indonesia, but it doesn’t anymore ( or so I thought)
    I used OpenDNS previously, and my favorite proxy site got blocked. So, I tried to change the DNS to google’s DNS but still no luck.
    Is there another way to do so ?